With the recent news that The Last of Us HBO series is currently filming its second season, TLOU fans can get even more excited as news of The Last of Us Part II will soon be available on the PlayStation 5 as a remastered edition. The news comes with a few announcements, including one that will make current owners of the game on PlayStation 4 very happy.
Upgrade to The Last of Us Part II Remastered for $10
Gamers who bought The Last of Us Part II can choose to enhance their experience by paying an extra fee to upgrade to The Last of Us Part II Remastered. According to the PlayStation website, this upgrade, which is $10 USD, along with local pricing adjustments, will be accessible on the PlayStation Store beginning January 19, 2024. For those with disc copies of the PS4 version of The Last of Us Part II, upgrades are exclusively applicable if you possess a PlayStation 5 console equipped with a disc drive. If you own PS4 disc copies, you must insert them into the PS5 each time you wish to download or play the PS5 digital version.
This remastered version of TLOU Part II will include a few new features:
Exclusive roguelike survival mode called No Return
In the No Return roguelike survival mode, players have the freedom to chart their own course and challenge their abilities through a series of randomized encounters during each run. Let’s delve into the mechanics of these runs and explore what players can anticipate as they embark on this mode:
- Death is permanent in No Return
- If a run is unsuccessful midway, players will lose all accumulated weapons, items, and upgrades for that specific run. They must then start anew, facing a fresh set of randomized scenarios. No Return introduces players to randomized combat encounters set in well-known locations from The Last of Us Part II’s campaign, such as Jackson, the Channel 13 News Station, and others. Despite the familiar settings, these scenarios offer a fresh experience due to unique gameplay elements, including a diverse lineup of playable characters with distinct playstyle traits, unexpected gameplay modifiers, unique objects, and more. In No Return, death is permanent.
- New challenges types
- The challenges in No Return can be categorized into four distinct types: Assault , Capture, Holdout and Hunted. If you manage to successfully navigate through an entire run, you’ll confront one of six progressively unlocked boss encounters. Once these bosses are conquered, they will be randomly integrated into subsequent runs, presenting a unique challenge against some of The Last of Us Part II’s most memorable adversaries, albeit not necessarily in the same manner as your initial encounters with them.
- Mods, gambits, and upgrades
- In randomized mods, encounters will receive random mods, and opting to tackle challenges with these modifications will influence the rewards you earn.
- Gambits are optional dynamic challenges that can add an extra layer of excitement to each round. Whether it involves hitting a specific number of headshots or evading melee attacks, engaging with Gambits allows you to either solidify your approach to a challenge or explore new strategies, all while earning additional resources for the ongoing run.
- Upgradeable weapons: Upgrades reset after each run, requiring players to make challenging decisions as they advance. This involves weighing options on how to allocate acquired resources for weapon upgrades and determining which skills will provide the most significant advantage in forthcoming encounters. The evolving nature of the game demands strategic thinking and careful resource management to optimize each playthrough.
Check out all of the details about the No Return game mode on the PlayStation website.
New Ways to Play
Lost Levels offers the opportunity to delve into early-development versions of three previously unseen levels from The Last of Us Part II: Sewers, Jackson Party, and Boar Hunt. Unleash your musical creativity with Guitar Free Play, now featuring new instruments. Challenge yourself with the newly introduced Speedrun Mode and share your best times. Capture stunning moments with Photo Mode enhancements like dynamic lighting, Frame Forward, and Gaze Direction, along with new frame and logo options.
In addition, The Last of Us Part II Remastered introduces fresh unlockable character and weapon skins for players to customize both Ellie and Abby, adding a new layer of personalization to the gaming experience.
And of course, the game will also feature graphical enhancements and comprehensive support for the DualSense wireless controller, ensuring an elevated and immersive gaming experience.
The Last of Us Part II Remastered will be available on January 19, 2024, on the PlayStation Store.