Now that the Attack on Titan anime is over until Winter 2022, you will likely need something to fill that empty space in your life. (I know I am.) So what are some good alternative anime series? Which are the best anime series to watch next now that Attack on Titan is over? Here’s a look at what other anime fans have suggested.
I haven’t watched these, although I intend to try quite a few next. Here are the anime series that have been suggested to me or others.
Here Are the Top Post-Apocalyptic Anime Series to Watch Next
Post Apocalyptic Media may earn an affiliate commission from some links on this page.
During one of Post Apocalyptic Media’s recent podcast episodes, I asked listeners to share their suggestions in our Attack on Titan Discord. User StrontiumDoug shared a list with me of their suggestions for great animes to watch next. Here’s what they suggested:
- Nausicaa Valley of the Wind is an anime movie from 1984, and a redubbed version was released by Disney in 2005. You can watch it on HBO Max. The film takes place 1,000 years after an apocalyptic war. You can get the box set for the manga here. The English language anime version is here.
- Fist of the North Star is a Japanese manga series and film from the 1980s. It was released in 1988 on VHS two years after its theatrical release due to a decision to animate a new ending. An IMDb synopsis reads: “After a nuclear holocaust tears the world apart, mankind is forced to the harshness of not only the oppression of others who are much more powerful, but the dead earth which seems to be getting worse with every passing moment…” On Amazon, you can watch the English dub of the movie with a 7-day free Viewster Anime trial here.
- Neon Genesis is a series from the 1990s that you can still watch on Netflix. However, the version released on Netflix in 2019 had a different English translation and the iconic ending song was replaced, which left some fans angry, Vulture reported. This is one of the most popular anime series ever created, Vulture said. The protagonist must save humanity from violent monsters using giant machines “that seem to have a mind of their own,” according to Google’s synopsis.
- Robotech is an 85-episode anime series from the 1980s which adapted three Japanese anime series from the same decade. In the series, humanity is fighting three races of alien invaders, Fandom explains. They are also striving over an alien energy source. The complete digitally remastered series is on Amazon Prime here and you can watch Episode 1 for free with ads if you want to give it a try.
- Vampire Hunter D are Japanese novels written since 1983, but also published in English since the early 2000s. There’s a related film made in 1985, along with a newer film called Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust from 2000.
- Gargantia on the Verduous Planet: This single-season anime premiered in 2013. It shows humanity in the future, now in space and battling a squid-like alien race. But the main character finds himself aboard a fleet of ships on Earth, humanity’s long-rumored birthplace. You can watch this one on Funimation by searching for Gargantia. You can also find it on Amazon Prime (English dub for Season 1) here, but it’s only available in some regions.
- Cowboy Bebop features 26 episodes in 2071. It’s about a bounty hunter on a spaceship. The series premiered in the late 1990s in Japan as 12 episodes. You can watch this one on Funimation. A live-action version is releasing on Netflix sometime this year. The complete series is also available on Amazon Prime with English subs.
- Gurran Lagan is from 2007 and available to watch on Netflix. It’s set in the future when humans were forced to live in underground villages, burrowing deeper to escape earthquakes.
Additional Anime Series for Your Consideration
Some fans suggest Death Note as the next anime to watch. The 37-episode series was broadcast in Japan in the early 2000s. It was later adapted into a series of live-action films. You can watch Death Note 2 on Funimation. (Although it appears that just one episode is available so far.) The synopsis reads: “A high-school student discovers a supernatural notebook that grants its user the ability to kill.”
One fan who loves Attack on Titan said on Reddit that their favorite anime is still Hunter x Hunter. It’s a 62-episode anime that may not yet be complete because it often goes on hiatus. You can watch this one on Funimation. Season 101 through 107 are on Amazon streaming and available in the U.S.
The synopsis on Wikipedia reads: “The story focuses on a young boy named Gon Freecss who discovers that his father, who left him at a young age, is actually a world renowned Hunter, a licensed professional who specializes in fantastical pursuits such as locating rare or unidentified animal species…. Gon departs on a journey to become a Hunter and eventually find his father.”
Other fans have suggested My Hero Academia. This one just dropped a trailer for its next movie and Season 5 is just returning. Wikipedia’s synopsis reads: “The story follows Izuku Midoriya, a boy born without superpowers in a world where they have become commonplace, but who still dreams of becoming a superhero himself.” You can watch this one on many services, like Hulu or on Funimation.
On Reddit, u/mechenger17 also noted that D. Gray Man is a great series. The first season had 51 episodes and there are four seasons plus a Hallow series from 2016. It’s about an exorcist fighting Millennium Earl, an ancient sorcerer. The Season 1 DVD is on Amazon here.
On Reddit, u/BetaBen5504 said that for them, Attack on Titan wasn’t quite as great as Monster or Ashita No Joe. They ranked Attack on Titan alongside Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor.
Ashita No Joe is a Japanese boxing manga and anime series from the 1970s.
Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor is a series about gambling, with two 26-episode seasons that aired in 2008 and 2011.
There are also quite a few votes for Full Metal Alchemist. Google’s synopsis reads: “In the fictitious country of Amestris, two young brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric, are bestowed with the gift of alchemy – the supernatural ability to transform matter.” According to Wikipedia, it was adapted into two anime series and two movies. You can watch Season 1 on Amazon Prime in certain regions.
Want to chat about Attack on Titan? Join our Discord server here. You can also follow us by email here or in our special Attack on Titan Facebook group. We’ll be analyzing this anime in-depth until the show returns.